Below is our general policy for providing ribbons and other awards to swimmers on the team. (Note that each MCSL team has its own awards policy, which will govern when Bethesda swims at their pools and which may be different from our policy below).
"B" Meet Ribbons. At Wednesday B Meets, the home team generally will provide ribbons for 1st through 6th place for each heat (point heats and exhibition heats) in all individual events and for each swimmer on a relay in each relay heat. Participation/Finisher ribbons
generally will be given to all other athletes who compete at a B meet. Ribbons normally are given out at the following meet or at practice.
- "A" Meet Ribbons. At Saturday A meets, ribbons are awarded for 1st through 6th place. Note that swimmers who are disqualified (DQ) do not get ribbons.
End of Season Awards
At our end-of-season banquet, every swimmer will receive a participation award and a “Paper Plate Award” that recognizes their specific contributions to the team, achievements and/or special talents). In addition, certain swimmers will receive the following awards based on their performance over the summer season:
- Top 3 Awards. Awards will be given to the 3 female and male swimmers in each age group who score the most points at Saturday A meets over the course of the summer season.
High Point Awards.
- B Meet High Point Award. A high point award will be given to each boy and girl who scores the most points on the team at B meets over the course of the summer season.
- A Meet High Point Award. A high point award will be given to each girl and boy who scores the most points on the team at A meets over the course of the summer season.
- Most Improved. Coaches determine the recipient of this trophy based on the swimmer's improvement in both time and ability throughout the swim season. An award will be given for one boy and one girl on the team.
- Coach's Award. This award will be given to one swimmer. Coaches determine the recipient of this trophy based on the swimmer’s team spirit, sportsmanship, motivation and overall attitude throughout the swim season.
- The Abby Shapiro Spirit Award. Each year, our team hosts an end-of-the-season banquet in Abby's honor, and awards a Barracuda swimmer with The Abby Shapiro Spirit Award who most demonstrates the attributes that Abby exemplified.